It is best to understand that there is no de-facto feature that will help in indicating garbage disposal is the best. All garbage disposals for farmhouse sink have been designed to fit perfectly in a common drainage size. With different models and brands available out there, choosing the best garbage disposal for farmhouse sink can be a bit challenging; however, we recommend Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal. This garbage disposal is, by far, the best in today’s market. Therefore, in this article, we will be going through some of the best garbage disposals in today’s market.
Why You Should Trust Us
While researching this guide, we went through several garbage disposals, including the Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal and their reviews from several reliable sources. In addition to that, we went through the Amazon reviews for a better view of the product in terms of quality and durability, among other vital aspects. Therefore, with this guide, you will be able to learn several essential aspects of garbage disposal that best suit your need.
RELATED POST: Can You Have A Garbage Disposal With A Farmhouse Sink?
How We Picked
Garbage disposals feature different designs and brands, and the best ones are those equipped with powerful horsepower and do not jam. Usually, garbage disposals are equipped with different horsepower; those with high horsepower tend to be pricey and less jammed than their counterparts. Most individuals with garbage disposals with small horsepower tend to complain more often due to jamming and reduced effectiveness.
When picking the best garbage disposals, we looked for those that are top-rated on Amazon, Lee Valley, Home Depot and Lowe’s. in addition to that; we had put more emphasis on the design, quality, material, cost, and durability of the product before reviewing it on this guide.
Garbage disposal tends to do double duty; they have to meet the ever-expanding demands of both convenience and conservation. In addition to convenience, garbage disposals prevent filling up landfills, which are often associated with greenhouse gases emission. As a result, picking garbage disposal that works perfectly and is durable is crucial.
RELATED POST: Best Garbage Disposal For your Septic Tank
How We Tested
We tested garbage disposals on several number factors. When it comes to testing the speed, we grind a beef rib bone for approximately 1 minute along with cold running water; once that is done, we measure the amount of food left in the garbage disposal. When the amount of food left is high, it indicates that the grinding process is longer; hence the score becomes low.
To assess how great garbage disposal grinds food, we take a mix of bones along with raw vegetables and toss in every model. The fragments are then run through four sieves of different sizes and gauge the fineness. When garbage disposal produces fine particles allowing it to pass through most sieves, it garners the best rating. Whenever more significant bits are left on the sieve, it increases the chances of your farmhouse sink clogging; hence the model will receive a lower score.
For noise testing, we measure the amount of decibel being emitted when the garbage disposal is grinding bones and raw vegetables. Usually, the quitter the model, the better the rating while the louder the model, the poor the rating. However, quitter models tend to be a bit heavy; this is because they are equipped with more insulation.
RELATED POST: Best Garbage Disposal For Kraus Sink
Comparison of Top Garbage Disposal for Farmhouse Sink
Waste King L-8000
- Weight: 11.94 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.50 x 8.50 x 16.00 inches
- Material: Stainless-steel
InSinkErator Evolution Compact
- Weight: 19.21 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.00 x 8.00 x 12.13 inches
- Material: Stainless Steel
Waste King L-2600
- Weight: 7.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 6.75 x 6.75 x 13.5 inches
- Material: Stainless Steel
Waste King L-3200
- Weight: 8.6 pounds
- Dimensions: 7.75 x 7.75 x 13.75 inches
- Material: Stainless-steel
Top 5 Garbage Disposal For Farmhouse Sink Reviews
Choosing the best garbage disposal can be challenging; fortunately, we have compiled for you some of the best available in today’s market;
#1 Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal with Power Cord
- Powerful motor. The Waste King L-8000 garbage disposal is equipped with a powerful motor with 1 horsepower and 2,800 rounds per minute, which is equivalent to 115 volts. In addition to that, the motor features a permanent magnet, sound insulated, and does not jam.
- Easy to maintain. If you are looking for a garbage disposal that is relatively easy to clean, then this Waste King model will be best for you. Furthermore, the L-8000 is relatively easy to install, and it is equipped with a removable splash guard making the cleaning process much more comfortable.
- Waste King is well-known when it comes to durability, and the L-8000 is no different. This garbage disposal not only compact but also very light in weight, and it is equipped with stainless steel to grind more maximum durability.
- Continuous feed. L-8000 is activated using a wall switch, and it then grinds food much faster and continuously as it runs.
- It is equipped with 20 years of protection
- Features a functional splashguard
- Equipped with an incredibly powerful motor
- Does not jam
- Features a great diameter and length, which makes it less compatible with most farmhouses out there.
#2: InSinkErator Evolution Compact 3/4 HP Compact Garbage Disposer
- Efficient space. InSinkErator Evolution Compact garbage disposal has been designed to fit perfectly in small farmhouses or houses with restricted cabinet space. Furthermore, this garbage disposal fits perfectly under sinks, and it has been designed to form alloy stainless steel material for maximum durability.
- When it comes to silence, this garbage disposal offers the best. It features a noise reducing SoundSeal technology that offers the utmost silence when grinding bones or raw vegetables.
- Powerful motor. This InSinkErator features a long-lasting ¾ horsepower motor with a Dura-Drive Induction. Furthermore, it features a 2-Stage Multigrind Technology, which makes it the best in handling some of the toughest food wastes.
- Incredibly fast. InSinkErator Evolution garbage disposal is not only fast but also relatively easy to clean, and it is smatter. With this garbage disposal, you will be able to keep your kitchen clean in a faster way.
- Offers utmost silence
- Features a powerful motor
- Highly efficient
- Smart, fast, and cleaner
- Highly durable
- Not leakproof
#3: Waste King L-2600 Garbage Disposal with Power Cord, 1/2 HP
- Incredible motor. The Waste King L-2600 is incredible garbage disposal; it is equipped with a powerful motor with ½ horsepower and 2,600 rounds per minute. Furthermore, its motor does not jam since it is equipped with a permanent magnet.
- Easy to clean. When it comes to cleaning, the L-2,600 garbage disposal is relatively easy. In addition to that, it is equipped with an EZ mount for an easy and quick installation process. Its splashguard is removable, which makes it easy to clean.
- No electricity knowledge required. You do not need to be an electrical expert to operate or set this garbage disposal. This L-2600 garbage disposal comes with a pre-installed power cord making it easy to install.
- Highly durable. This Waste King Garbage Disposal is highly durable and lightweight. It features all the stainless steel grind components.
- Features 5 years of protection
- Equipped with an incredibly high-speed motor
- Highly durable
- Relatively easy to install and clean
- Does not require any electrical expertise
- Produces loud noise when compared to other garbage disposals in this list.
#4: Waste King L-3200 Garbage Disposal with Power Cord, 3/4 HP
- Incredible size. Waste King L-3200 garbage disposal is small and light in weight equipped with ¾ horsepower motor. It features 7 ¾ inches in diameter and 13 ¾ inches long, and it weighs 8.6 pounds.
- Powerful motor. The L-3200 garbage disposal is equipped with ¾ horsepower and 2,700 rounds per minute. The best part is that the motor is sound-insulated and equipped with a magnet motor that helps in reducing jamming.
- Easy to install. This garbage disposal is equipped with EZ mount; this helps in making the installation process much easier and faster. Moreover, it is equipped with a removable splash guard for a better cleaning process.
- L-3200 is highly durable, and it is designed with all stainless steel grind components.
- Highly durable
- Does not require any electrical expertise
- Relatively easy to maintain
- Equipped with a powerful motor
- Comes in a compact size
- Its gasket tends to obstruct the grip of a hopper mechanism.
#5. InSinkErator Garbage Disposal with Cord, Badger 5
- InSinkErator garbage disposal is highly reliable and relatively easy to install. If functionality and affordability are your primary choices, then this garbage disposal will be best for you. It is equipped with a compact design that aids in saving space, and it fits perfectly in most sinks out there.
- This is one of the most durable garbage disposals in today’s market. It features an exclusive ½ horsepower Dura-Drive Induction Motor along with a durable galvanized steel component offering great grind for every food waste.
- Great design. InSinkErator garbage disposal features an incredible design which fasts, smart, and clean. With this garbage disposal, you will be able to keep your kitchen clean within a short period. Furthermore, it comes with an instant hot water dispenser as well.
- Features a reliable and fast motor
- It has one of the best designs
- Incredibly silent
- A bit challenging to install
Care and Maintenance
When you have a kitchen garbage disposal that runs properly, it becomes one of the best appliances. With the right garbage disposal, you will be able to have your kitchen smelling fresh and clean; it makes the cleaning process after dinner much more comfortable. However, when you have a garbage disposal that does not work accordingly, the decaying food will remain in your appliances and make your kitchen stink. Therefore, to avoid such situations, it is best to take care of and maintain your garbage disposal. Here are some of the essential tips you can use in taking care and maintaining your garbage disposal;
- Using plenty of water. When using your garbage disposal, it is highly advisable to turn on cold water while chopping waste. Once you hear the grinding motor turning into a soft whir, you should consider turning off the device and let the cold water continue running for approximately 10 to 20 seconds. By doing so, the cold running water will get rid of all the remaining particles from your garbage disposal. Furthermore, it will flush out the pipe completely.
- You should consider using cold water rather than hot water. Despite the fact that hot water will not damage any parts, cold water is considered as the best to use in a running garbage disposal. When you use hot water, you will liquefy fats and grease, and when they are in liquid form, they tend to adhere to your blades and build them upon them.
- Avoid fibrous and hard foods. Garbage disposals have been designed for grinding grains into bits and small pieces. Therefore, hard seeds, peach stones, popcorn kernels, apple seeds, and bones tend not to grind that well. These results into small pieces being wedged underneath your blades hence making them jam frequently. You should consider avoiding fibrous foods because they will wrap themselves around blades, which will make them jam easily.
- You should consider cleaning the inside part of your garbage disposal since when they are not cleaned for an extended period, sludge will build-up on its sides and be on the blade. Furthermore, you should avoid using harsh chemicals since they can cause damage to your device. You might consider using natural chemical reactions by pouring baking powder along with vinegar down the drain.
- Never put your hand in a garbage disposal. Whenever wedged food is removed, sudden release of the tension can lead the blade springing back into action resulting in injury. You should consider using pliers, and if it fails, you should consider asking for help from a plumber.
Buying guide for the best garbage disposal for farmhouse sink
Some of the essential aspects you will need to consider before purchasing garbage disposal for farmhouse sink include;
The electric cord is a vital feature worth considering before buying garbage disposal for a farmhouse sink. Always go for garbage disposal equipped with an electric cord since those without will require electrical knowledge.
The amount of horsepower rating is another crucial aspect you will have to consider when purchasing a garbage disposal. If you are looking for excellent performance, garbage disposal with incredible horsepower will be best for you. Usually, ½ horsepower garbage disposals are ideal for handling bones along with other soft wasters like carrots and corn kernels. On the other hand, ¾ horsepower garbage disposals are best for sinks with lots of waste products.
The auto-reverse mode is a vital feature that aids in clearing the jam. Therefore, you should consider assessing for such a feature before purchasing a garbage disposal.
Easy to install
Different garbage disposal is equipped with different quick-mount necks, which is ideal for DIY projects. Always go for garbage disposals that are relatively easy to install.
When purchasing any product in the market, durability should always be a top priority, and garbage disposal is no different. Garbage disposal with a stainless steel grinding chamber is considered highly durable.
Always assess all the safety features equipped in a garbage disposal. Usually, these features, such as the safety cover, helps in preventing your motor from being turned on while the cover is not in place.
Garbage disposals come in different warranties from 1 year to a lifetime. However, you should note that an extended warranty does not assure durability or better performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the frequently asked questions about garbage disposals include;
Q. What’s the difference between an apron sink and a farmhouse sink?
There is no much difference between the two; however, you should note that farmhouse sinks are more fireclay or porcelain; this gives a country appearance. On the other side, apron sink is made from modern materials such as stainless steel.
Q. What is the best material for a farmhouse kitchen sink?
Stainless steel is considered the best material for a farmhouse kitchen sink because it is highly durable and has rustproof.
Q. Can I Install any garbage disposal with a Farmhouse Sink?
The answer is YES! You can install your garbage disposal to any farmhouse sink irrespective of the size and shape.
Q. What items should not be put in a garbage disposal?
Most people think that anything can be put in a garbage disposal; however, this is not the case. There are some items you should avoid putting down your garbage disposal. Some of the items that should never be put in a garbage disposal are as follows;
- Coffee grounds
- Stringy veggies and fruits
- Grease and oil
Q. Why does my garbage disposal smell?
The primary cause of smell in a garbage disposal is food waste present in the grinding chamber. To avoid this, you should consider cleaning your garbage disposal more often.
When choosing garbage disposal, it will be best for you to choose a model that suits you the best. You might consider choosing a batch feed or a continuous feed unit. However, a batch feed unit is regarded as a bit more challenging to operate when compared to its counterpart, the continuous feed. Moreover, a batch feed is considered a safe option.